|d g i V i s t a. o r g . . . "Makingthe FifthEstate the Fourth." ||Sparky!the Political Blog |
| expressiveeducationalenlightening transformative |
potent and giving
| Education |
Political Science 349
April 2, 2004
(Reflections on Thomas Weiss' "The Politics of Humanitarian Ideas," Security Dialogue, 31.1, March2000, p. 11-23.)
The Pendulum Dialectic: Enacting the Paradigm of Human Security
1. A History of Political Authority
2. The Pendulum Dialectic
3. The (Present) Kindergarten Phase of the R2P Learning Curve
Y-Axis is Global Expertise inHumanitarian Intervention, Human Security and Responsibility to Protect
X-Axis is time
4. The Future: "Juxtaposing ideals andrealpolitik"
- Thomas Weiss: "Humanitarians withhearts on their sleeves lament the pernicious influence of politics."[I grudgingly recognize the poignancy of realism.]
1. Pushing the Curve: through the defense policy review, Canada shouldengage in principled leadership to double our military spending overthe next decade to support, underwrite and staff UN RRF initiatives.
"The Canadian Forces must have the ability to fulfil any mission necessary to effectively defend Canada, protect the continent and contribute to international peace and security." Defense Minister David Pratt, in Charlottetown's Guardian on February 27, 2004. Contributing to international peace and security is the focus we should pursue and promote.
2. Naming the Curve: exploring "standards, trigger mechanisms andcompliance" while within the crucible of HI.
3. Applying Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs to the help define the human security paradigm:
The Human Security Paradigm
How about aSemester End Party?
dali global intelligentsia Vista dot org
|Because sometimes the surreal is the only viable approach|
|The big picture is the only picture|
|Since we're all in this together, let's put our minds together|
|We're dead without a vision. What's yours?|
|We're no dot com|
Email me: NotUninspired at Yahoo dot com
Stephen Buckley, CEO of dgiVista.org [un]Limited
You must be of legal drinking age [in your jurisdiction] to enter this site. If you are too young, please exit here.
CEO = [Chief Entropic Officer]
This gravitational colour scheme is brought to you by the letter L, the number 12, the red wheelbarrow and the palm at the end of the mind.